The department was established to study various aspects of marine organisms including the structure, physiology and taxonomy as well as its interaction with abiotic environmental components. This department was actually established to complement one major aim; to afford both the theoretical and practical scientific knowledge about the marine organisms in an ample manner. This has been achieved by good talented faculty members and staff as well as offering teaching plans of international standards in well known universities worldwide. The department is keen to provide labor markets with skillful and highly talented graduates.
|1.Mission||Marine Biology||Marine Biology||1|
• Unique specialty on national level to provide highly motivated graduates in marine biology as one discipline among others that are essential for the development of Jordan• Offering applied marine sciences in the field and laboratories. Enhance knowledge that can help in best management of marine bio resources for sustainability
• It offers opportunities for international and regional exchange in the teaching process and research in the field of marine sciences.
• Provide labor market with skillful manpower able to undertake and lead the development process on national and international levels
|2.Vision||Marine Biology||Marine Biology||1|
Department of marine biology will work to achieve the following objective: Enrich knowledge to undergraduates and graduate students about the marine organisms in general; fish communities; fishery resources management and techniques for stock assessment estimation; benthos and the its relation with nekton and plankton; coral reef ecosystems; phyto and zooplankton; mariculture of fish and shell fish with all related knowledge; marine microbiology; molecular marine biology to serve biodiversity for utilization and management; biotechnology in marine organisms for efficient utilization of marine bio resources. In addition, the department of marine biology will focus on training of students for skilled professions in the field.
The Department also offers bachelor degree in Biological Sciences. This program was established in order to supply the society with trained graduates for teaching in high schools and to meet the ever pressing need for technical personnel in biological analysis, particularly in medical laboratories.
|3.Objectives||Marine Biology||Marine Biology||1|
The ecosystems in coastal areas are at risk of suffering from the impact of unsustainable development. Therefore, the form of the coast has become subject to change constantly as a result of human activities and the effects of weathering. And coastal environment in the Red Sea region that contains the wealth of unique environmental, cultural, and economic resources is in need for action to protect these resources and preserve them from these effects. Coastal Environment specialization aims to examining the interaction between the environment and living organisms on the coast and what is connected to it from land, rivers and tributaries. It also aims to reach a better understanding of the living and non-living resources, including the atmosphere, water and beaches and related aspects of economic, historical, educational, research, and aesthetic values of coastal marine environment. Our department provides the latest knowledge of the basic science of life and coastal marine resources and the factors that affect them, in addition to educating our students on the ways and means of protection and management, in order to achieve the national goals for higher education, through the development of competitive programs at the undergraduate level. The department is keen on providing academic programs of high quality. Therefore, the study plans for undergraduate programs is comparable to similar programs offered in regional and international universities, and meet the requirements for national and international accreditation. The department aims to graduate cohorts with the necessary scientific and practical skills to meet the high requirements of the labor market. The University of Jordan-Aqaba has provided for this department multiple lecture halls, teaching and research laboratories equipped with the state of the art scientific instruments.
|1.Mission||Coastal environment||Coastal environment||2|
1. The first of it's kind marine sciences major in the country; a marine science major in Coastal Environment; aiming to build qualified generations in a new field at the national level, which will be part of the development process taking place in Jordan in various fields of science.
2. The Science of coastal environment is one important scientific fields in the contemporary world, which has become a key area with a direct relationship to marine resources, national economy, food and human consumption, and what impact those resources in that environment.
3. Scientific knowledge of the coastal environment and the resources it provides. Along with an applied approach to tools and methods to study, protect, and manage coastal environment.
4. Opportunities for regional and global cooperation and interaction in the field of education and scientific research through joint programs, which contribute to the ongoing construction and development in Jordan.
5. Graduate student cohort qualified and capable in specialization required in the local and regional job market, and thus be a prelude to creating jobs for new graduates.
|2.Vision||Coastal environment||Coastal environment||2|
1. Understanding of the relationship between the organisms and both the natural and anthropogenic changes of the ecosystems in coastal areas.
2. Ways and means to protect the coastal environment in line with the requirements of sustainable development.
3. Understanding the relationship between the geophysics of coastal areas and the systems of different environments.
4. Study of marine life that resides in the sea and coastline.
5. Ecology of the coral reefs and marine life associated with it as an integrated ecosystem.
6. The role of marine environment in moderating climatic changes resulting from the industrial revolution.
7. Study the chemistry of marine elements
8. Practical deployment of computer applications for the management of coastal areas.
9. Environmental applications, consultation and services in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and environmental investigations.
|3.Objectives||Coastal environment||Coastal environment||2|