Plastic Busters CAP was born under the umbrella of the Union for Mediterranean “Plastic Busters Initiative” and SDSN MED (Sustainable Development Solutions Network Mediterranean) led by the University of Siena (Italy).
The project aims to enhance and transfer knowledge, experience and best practice tools that address the entire management cycle of marine litter from monitoring and assessment to prevention and mitigation, towards an integrated and strategic approach that couples Ecosystem-based management and ICZM into local development planning.
Plastic Busters CAP brings together partners from 7 Mediterranean countries: Egypt, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia. Consortium members are:
• University of Siena Department of Physical Sciences, Earth and Environment (Italy, Lead Partner)
• Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development
• Legambiente Onlus (Italy)
• Higher Council for Scientific Research - Institute of Marine Sciences (Spain)
• El Ramis Society for Local Community Development of Barrany, (Egypt)
• National Institute of Marine Sciences and Technologies - Department of Marine Environment (Tunisia)
• Tire Coast Nature Reserve (Lebanon)
• The University of Jordan - Aqaba Branch Faculty of Basic and Marine Sciences, Department of Marine Biology (Jordan).
The main expected results of the project are: the development of hands-on training activities on marine litter monitoring and assessment and mitigation measures, organization of e-course on marine litter monitoring, marine litter monitoring and assessment in 4 pilot campaigns, creation of a coastal cities network for a litter-free Mediterranean.
For more information on the project:
Project coordinator: Fuad A. Al-Horani